Sunday, April 11, 2010

Soko - I'll Kill Her

Out of context, well, imagine it in a you-know-it's-the-name-of-a-pop-song-but-you-don't-know-who-sings-it kind of out of context, this song title surely reeks of death metal.

Didn't your mama tell you not to judge a book by its cover?

The artist - Soko, French, female, petite - is the furthest cry from death metal.

Not to say that "I'll Kill Her" is devoid of angst. If she steals you from me, oh boy, I'll kill her. Simple as that.

But the tone is so light, so effortless, so pop-infused, that you can't help but laugh. The spoken verse reminds us of something we always do, but really shouldn't: idealizing the perfect, step by step path, in minute detail, towards falling in love. Guys, don't smirk, these thoughts aren't reserved for girls. You do this too.

The lilting guitar leads keep the pace rolling, and the infectious chorus will have you humming "I'll kill her, I'll kill her" as you stroll down the street, to the disgusted looks of passerbys, all of which are so unjustly taking your comments out of context.

No comments:

Post a Comment