Friday, April 16, 2010

Miike Snow - Sans Soleil

Hola, oyentes (hello, listeners). Yes, I know, I didn't post yesterday. I'm sure Julie or Julia or whoever is just rolling over in her grave because of my misstep on day 7 of 365. She'll get over it, and so will you.

"Sans Soleil" is the perfect song to take a poke at on a cold and rainy afternoon in Montreal. Miike Snow is not a person, btw, but a duo of modern day Brill Building acolytes who have manufactured hits for Britney and Kylie. Come on, you know it, "Toxic" is a sweet track, just admit it and we'll move on.

The production on this one is slick, like gliding on the icy surface of some far-away planet. The lyrics may not have a cosmic meaning, but they get a passing grade. On my 6am morning run "Sans Soleil" sounded like humans on the brink of the apocalypse, existentially questioning whether they really deserve to live even if they win the battle against the machines. Deep.

Ooooooooh ooohoo hoooo oooos abound, coupled with the squeaking sounds of some I, Robot come to life = a nice way to spend 4 minutes. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment