Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Leonard Cohen - Bird on the Wire

Like A Bird (Bird on a Wire) is actually a reprise of Bird on a Wire, from his 1968 album "Song From a Room". (Sorry, to my reading faithful, I could only find the first track on the album). But be sure to buy the entire album just for the mysterious girl in that "room" on the back cover.

Leonard is just so friggin' cool. I invite anybody who hasn't already done so to watch him being interviewed. The guy is so loose, so laid back, so well-spoken, so effortless.

Being from Montreal, I have no choice but to love Leonard. I resisted, for a long while, but have finally (kind of, not completely) come around. I still can't really stand the arrangements on any album that isn't one of his first few late 60s albums. But you know what, I think the shlocky Klesmer waltzes and cheese-ball synthesizers might be there to force you to focus on the lyrics, a department in which Leonard really has few direct competitors.

But Just listen to the lyrics - like a child still born, like a beast with his thorns...is he serious? It's heavy stuff. What I liked about early Leonard is the tone of his voice - still so young, so innocent, very Lou Reed-ish sounding.

Few people can make a song uplifting and horrifying at the same time, depending on your mood, and exactly how you want to listen to his poetry. You be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment