Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Paul Simon - The Obvious Child

I don't remember much from being a little kid. Wait, that's a lie. I selectively remember. I remember eating nothing but fudge-ee-os and chicken McNuggets until the age of 12. I remember standing really close to the tv screen with my NES duck hunt gun while my mother placed the McNuggets in my hand, which I would instinctively eat. Multi-tasking, check. I also remember a long road trip down south which was marked by 1) me and my sister setting off car alarms at a Svedish car dealership in Jacksonville, F L A, 2) my 9 year old self arguing with my dad that I needed something to drink, him refusing to pull over, and me eventually vomiting (out of nausea or spite, don't know - selective memory), AND, most importantly, 3) Graceland. I would drift off, and my dad thought he could change the cd, or the track, but if he did, I would wake up and say "Graceland! Graceland!", and repeat track 2 he would. (OK, I am painting a very bratty portrait of meself, I have changed, no really, I'm different now, I listen to more than just Paul Simon, although Paul Simon is really all I, or anyone else, really needs.).

I'm different because I am now angry at my dad for not standing his ground in a more constructive way. He could have swiftly switched Graceland for The Rhythm of The Saints: An equally tribal Paul Simon, if anything more mellow and far more amenable to a long road trip - I'd have been none the wiser. As we rolled out of Jacksonville, all of us sitting up front of a near 18 wheeler with the tow truck driver who claims to have seen "Speed" over 20 times in theaters, my dad could have slipped on "The Obvious Child" in some sort of sweet, twisted irony to symbolize my (and my sister's) hard work and results: a triumphant cacophony of Saab alarms ringing off in the distance of the rear view mirror...

4 comments:

  1. My turn :
    Every time we say goodbye- Roy Hargrove Big Band (Album : Emergence)
    The Girl - City and Colour (Album : Bring me your love)
    Piazza, New York Catcher- Belle and Sebastian
    Flower's grave- Tom Waits
    If I could write- Sam Phillips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is one sad Waits song. Piazza works, but that BnS album don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this is one sad song but that's what is beautiful about it. The piano is beautiful too. Sometimes you need that melancholy...
    What is your favourite Tom Waits song ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Either Gun Street Girl or Big In Japan. Nothing beats Rain Dogs as an album.

    ReplyDelete